Sour Grapes Post Election 2012

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The death of a slave . . . .


"When a slave die, Massa make the coffin hisself and send a couple of slaves to bury the body and say, 'Don't be too long.' No singin' or prayin' allowed, just put them in the ground and cover them up and hurry on back to that field. I'm Katie Darling."


"You now talking to a slave what nursed seven white chillum in them bullwhip days. Massa have them chillum when the war come on, and I nursed all of 'em. I stays in the house with 'em and sleeps on a pallet on the floor. Soon as I's big enough to tote the milk pail they puts me to work milkin' too. Massa have more than 100 cows and most of the time Violet and me does all the milkin'. We better be in that cowpen by five o'clock. Katie Darling."

No comments:

Post a Comment